The University's Vision for Education
- 1Vision for Educational Contents and Accomplishments
- 1) Cultivate students' understanding of the history of human knowledge and development of culture, which allows them to apply such knowledge for self-empowerment;
- 2) promote systematic education that fosters the fundamental and practical abilities necessary to function as an effective member of society;
- 3) advance ecologically minded education by capitalizing on Shinshu's natural environment and its unique features;
- 4) promote education that produces talented individuals with sophisticated expertise;
- 5) preserve the quality of education through strict and fair academic performance assessments;
- 6) and reassess the university curriculum in relation to changing times
- 2Vision for Educational Systems and Organizations
- Admit students by emphasizing a multifaceted assessment of their qualities in accordance with university admission policies and enhance and develop systems for educating such diverse students
- 3Vision for Student Support
- Provide students with comprehensive support that deals with issues from their perspective
Common for All Undergraduate Courses
The university proactively accepts applicants who possess qualities such as those listed below.
- Individuals who respect humanity and nature and endeavor to learn with others
- Individuals full of intellectual curiosity who can act independently and confront issues
- Individuals who accept and understand diversity and cherish individuality
- Individuals concerned with issues facing society, the environment, and the international community and those with a strong desire to contribute to the world
Common for All Graduate Schools
Shinshu University Graduate Schools proactively accept individuals who possess qualities such as those listed below.
- Individuals educated in a wide range of topics, possessing expertise in their field of study, and desiring to expand their knowledge
- Individuals who are full of intellectual curiosity and will independently tackle technical issues or issues facing the local community
- Individuals with profound intelligence and the ability to think logically, who are wise and virtuous and aspire to actively demonstrate leadership in various fields
- Individuals, concerned with issues facing society, the environment, and the international community, who wish to actively contribute to the global community by applying their creativity to these issues
- Individuals who wish to enhance their technical abilities and knowledge acquired from occupational experience
Diploma Policy [Common for All Undergraduate Courses]
- Possess the ability to relate and interact with others in society and strive for personal development. [Self-recognition/personal development minded]
- Possess ideals and ethics as well as the ability to promote peaceful and sustainable development of society [social-activity minded]
Inheritance of Human Wisdom
- Possess ability to appreciate and preserve human wisdom from the past and to creatively perceive a future based on these human accomplishments. [ability to inherit human wisdom and creatively perceive the future]
- Well-grounded in diverse cultures, ideas, histories, and art [ability to accept diverse cultures]
- Ability to understand the histories and accomplishments of a wide range of scientific fields. [scientific literacy]
Foundational Strength as an Effective Member of Society
- Ability to accurately communicate, read, and write with others in Japanese and a foreign language [linguistic ability]
- Ability to cooperate with others through interaction and demonstrate a course of action for realizing certain objectives [communication abilities, teamwork skills, leadership]
- Ability to select, analyze, and apply relevant diverse information [ability to apply information]
- Ability to independently discover problems and apply reasoning to resolve them [problem detection/resolution ability]
Aptitude for Scientific and Academic Thought
- Ability to understand natural and social phenomena by using universal and quantitative indices [universal/quantitative understanding]
- Ability to utilize specialized knowledge and skills and apply these in practical situations [expertise and application ability]
- Grounded in or possessing systematic knowledge related to fields outside one's expertise [knowledge outside one's expertise]
- The ability to personally deepen one's regard for and interest in the natural and cultural environment of Shinshu [understanding of the local environment]
- The ability to understand the issues confronting the environment and human society [environmental literacy]
- The ability to act proactively to advance harmony and coexistence between human civilization and the global environment [practical environmental abilities]
Diploma Policy [Common for All Graduate Schools]
- During their master's program, students conduct research from a broad perspective, and acquire knowledge in their specialized field of study and the necessary skills to undertake an occupation that requires expertise and specialized research knowledge.
- During their doctoral program, students conduct independent research and acquire the necessary skills for engaging in technical activities beyond basic research.
- During their professional degree program, students acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to undertake an occupation that requires sophisticated expertise.
Restructuring and strengthening of undergraduate education from the viewpoint of the students
The first year curriculum will be enhanced for the freshmen to learn the basic skills as an university student such as to proactively take courses and study. To foster individuals capable of playing active roles as future leaders in global society, undergraduate education that maximizes the strengths and characteristics of Shinshu University will be reviewed based on university-wide principles, the undergraduate education system will be reformed, and qualitative conversion to systematic educational programs from the viewpoint of the students will be undertaken.
Cultivation of the Specialists to Lead the Global Society (Reexamination of the Graduate School Programs)
We aim to cultivate the talent to become the leaders in this global society with the excellent abilities to solve social issues in addition to being experts as the highly specialized workers. For this purpose, we are reexamining our master's and doctor's programs. Also, as the proof of the quality of our graduate school program, we are establishing new systematic programs such as a special course (Leading Graduate School) with unified master's and doctor's course (5 years).