Change of Status of Residence

The "Temporary Visitor" status does not cover the original purpose of your stay in Japan (study at Shinshu University). If you currently have "Temporary Visitor" status, you will need to leave the country to apply for "Student" status, as a general rule. To change your "Temporary Visitor" status to "Student visa", the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is necessary. Please consult with the Educational Section of your Faculty or gec as soon as possible.

If you currently have a resident status such as "Permanent Resident" "Dependent" etc., there is no need for you to undertake any procedures. However, if you wish to change your resident status to that of "Student", please refer to the following procedure.

Required documents

Extension of Period of Stay

Generally, international students with the residence status of "College Student" are permitted to stay in Japan for 3 months to 4 years and 3 months. If you are required to renew the period of stay while you are at the University, you need to apply for an extension of period of stay at the Regional Immigration Bureau from 2 months to 10 days before the expiration date.

Required Documents

If any of the required documents are in a foreign language, a Japanese translation must be attached.

You may be asked to submit additional "reference documents" as needed.

If you need a permission to engage in activities other than that permitted, you are recommended to apply for it at the same time.