For inquiries:

  • Advanced Leading Graduate Program Secretariat
    Faculty of Textile Science and Technology
    Shinshu University
  • 3-15-1 Tokida, Ueda-shi, Nagano, 386-8567
    Phone: +81 268 21 5597
    Fax: +81 268 21 5318


Is it possible to transfer into the doctoral portion of the program?

Only students who have completed a double-degree program at the University can transfer directly into the doctoral portion of the program.

My TOEIC score is lower than 700 points. Does that mean I can't apply to the Leading Program? Can I graduate from the program even if my score is lower than 800 points?

The 700-point number for applicants is provided as a general guideline, but students must have a score equivalent to 800 points in order to graduate. The program provides support for English education in a variety of forms.

Once I have been accepted into the program, can I complete just the master's portion?

No. The Leading Program is an integrated, five-year program.

I understand that the Leading Program is an integrated, five-year program. Once I complete it, will I have a master's degree? Or can I also receive a doctoral degree?

You will receive a master's degree when you complete the master's portion of the program. Once you complete the doctoral portion of the program, you will then receive a doctoral degree.

What are the QE and systematic review?

The QE, or qualifying examination, is an examination for advancing from the master's program to the doctoral program. Think of it as an entrance examination for the doctoral portion of the program. The systematic review, or SE, refers to a specific topic (research plan) that takes the place of a master's thesis. You will receive a pass or fail grade based on how well you summarize your plan for the research topic you will explore during the doctoral portion of the program, its content, an oral presentation, and an oral examination.

Are taxes withheld from subsidy payments?

Subsidies are considered miscellaneous income and must be reported on your tax return. In addition, you must not be claimed as a dependent by your parents, and you must participate in Japan's national pension and health insurance programs. International students may be exempt from certain Japanese taxes, depending on the provisions of any tax treaty their country may have with Japan. Please check with the National Tax Agency's website and your local tax office and city office.